02 December 2011

365 Days of Middle-earth ~ Day 155: Draugluin

Draugluin (S. ‘Blue-wolf’ or ‘Pale-wolf’) was the greatest of the werewolves of Morgoth and Sauron, and the forefather of Carcharoth. Inhabited with an evil spirit sent by Morgoth, Draugluin lived with Sauron, his master, in Tol-in-Gaurhoth (the former watchtower of Finrod Felagund). He was slain by Huan the Hound of Valinor during the Quest for the Silmaril (FA 466 or 467). His pelt was thereafter worn by Huan, and later Beren, who used it to sneak into Angband, later abandoning it.   

1 comment:

  1. I think of all your latest entries, this was the only one I could recall in detail. I mean, I did also recognize the Sindar elves, but couldn't really remember anything about them, such as how they were different from the Noldor or other elves. Then again, the wolves, Balrogs, dragons, etc, always made for my favorite parts of the Silmarillion.

    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete