17 June 2013

My Arwen Dresses


My awesome and talented mother made these two Arwen dresses in 2004 and 2005/2006, respectively. 

Initially I had commissioned her to make the former, Arwen's Blood Red Dress, for a Halloween party; as luck would have it, I ended up with the flu and couldn't attend the party. Fortunately, I had plenty of other opportunities to wear this dress (including around town with my fellow Elves, a Connecticut Wal*Mart after the Renaissance Fair was cancelled, and to the East Coast LOTR convention, ELF 2006). 

Blurry full-length shot (taken with my old webcam)
I loved that dress so much, but wanted a second one for future conventions. My mother then kindly agreed to make me the Coronation Gown, which I was very excited about. Unfortunately, the material used was different from the first dress; it is much harder to photograph properly, and is a much tighter fit around the abdomen, but looser around the bust. I do wear this one around the house, but have not yet had the opportunity to take it to any conventions. 

Next on the list (at some point in the nearish future) is one of Éowyn's gowns. As much as I have enjoyed being an Elf, I feel more connected to the Rohirrim... Not to mention it doesn't hurt to have options! 

6 comments:

  1. Those dresses are wonderful! & I think an Eowyn dress is a great idea as well - everyone likes to feel a bit more human sometimes! (Like the blog as well, very well done!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful dresses!!! Your mother is very talented and I can't wait to see Eowyn's dress! Rohirrim style is my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice! This is the one I really want to make: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-75hVD11f2q4/T1x1EGFntjI/AAAAAAAAHqA/q4VHwyHDYC0/s1600/Eow+green+dress.jpg

      Delete
    2. Wow it's amazing! One of my favourites :)

      Delete
  3. They're both so lovely! I wish I had an Arwen dress - and a place to where it to!

    ReplyDelete