15 November 2015

The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy: The Exhibition (August–October 2004)

Back in 2004, the Boston Museum of Science hosted a Lord of the Rings prop/costume exhibition. I had the pleasure of seeing it twice (the second time was in October and coincided with Sean Astin's There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale book tour).



I just found the write-up on an old LiveJournal of mine, so I thought even though it's now ten years since that trip (I'm starting to feel old now...), it's still worth a post! I've just copied + pasted the original post, which you can read below the page break. (Keep in mind I was only 14 years old when I wrote it!)


Swords and armour (the actual ones used in the movie)

  • Sting
  • Anduril
  • The shards of Narsil
  • Hadhafang
  • Haldir's weapons
  • Theoden's weapons and armour
  • Gondorian ranger
  • Gondorian soldier
  • Rohan soldier
  • Orc soldiers (3 different types)
  • Uruk-hai soldier
  • King of the Dead
  • Gondorian soldier (higher rank)
  • Gil-Galad's shield
  • Chainmail
  • Glamdring
Items (used in the movie)
  • Rohan belt buckles
  • Sam's backpack
  • The One Ring
  • The other Rings of Power
  • Brooches
  • Silverware
  • Elven telescope
  • Concept art
  • Videos/interviews
  • Evenstar pendant
Costumes and Models (used in the movie)

  • Frodo traveler cloak
  • Galadirel's prologue dress
  • Arwen's chase outfit (FOTR)
  • Arwen's requiem dress
  • Strider outfit
  • King of Gondor outfit
  • Legolas outfit
  • Gimli outfit
  • Treebeard's head
  • Gandalf
  • Nazgul
  • Aragorn
  • Cave troll
  • Orcs and uruk-hai
  • Slain Boromir in boat
  • The Shire under Sauron's rule
Interactive stuff

  • Chainmail glove. You were allowed to put it on and the guy would stab you with an extremely sharp steak knife, and all you would feel is the rings pushing against your skin.
  • An exact replica of Glamdring. Not the actual one used in the movie, but you got to hold it and admire it. It was extremely heavy, but really neat. The lady asked everyone what their favourite sword was. I was trying to decide between Sting and Anduril, and I went with Anduril. The lady was like, "Wow. Most people know it only as Narsil. They don't even know what Anduril is." That made me happy. Then some kids behind me were like, "Oh man it's Anduril!"
  •  3-D face. I'm not exactly sure what you do, because I didn't try it, but people would put their face on or under something, and then it would transfer onto a computer and it would dress you in a helmet and it looked pretty cool.
  • 3-D animation. This was fun. They made you put on a blue shirt, and then they gave you two rubber things. One was a circle and the other was a stick. And you had to stand on the two footprints, and then you move around and stuff, and it would show up on the screen as a Middle-earth soldier. You could be an Elf archer, a Gondorian soldier, or an Uruk-Hai.
  • Height measurer thingy. They had this wall that had one character from each of the races of Middle-earth, and you would stand against the wall, and this camera would scan you and tell you what you would have been based on your height. I was an orc :P.
  • Elven swords. They had three replicas of Hadhafang, and only one of them was a real replica. And feeling them you had to figure out which was the real one. I knew the answer without touching them.
  • 3-D scaling. They had two benches separated from each other. One was small and one was big. My dad and I sat on the big one, and my sister on the small one, and they make you look at these X's, and they take a photo. And then my sister and I switched sides, and they took another photo. So one photo had me Gandalf's size and my dad and sister hobbit sized, and then the other picture was my sister Gandalf sized and my dad and I hobbit sized. It's really neat.
What was really unique about this occasion is this is the only museum in the US that had the exhibit. So if I didn't live where I do now, I wouldn't have been able to go. Most of the replicas and items were from Weta Workshop. This exhibit was put together by New Zealand.

The only downside of this was No photography, and no readmittance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...