15 January 2017

Help Tolkien Fan Rúnar's Dream Come True

Rúnar Þór Njálsson is a 25 year old Tolkien fan from Iceland who was born with cerebral palsy. Although he has been confined to a wheelchair all his life, he hasn't let that get in the way of his dream to visit Middle-earth (aka New Zealand) and participate in the Red Carpet Tours. But travel is expensive, especially given the circumstances; which is why Rúnar has set up a GoFundMe page.

I’m a HUGE The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fan, not a day goes by without me doing something related to it and I live and breathe Middle-Earth as you can clearly see by looking at the pictures :) My ultimate dream/on the top of my bucket list, is to travel to New Zealand and to go on a 14 day tour, to travel across the country and visit all the locations that were used in the filming, meeting the people responsible for creating this masterpiece and getting a look behind the scenes and just being in NZ/Middle-Earth for real. Here is the tour I’m hopefully going on http://www.redcarpet-tours.com/lotr-tours/14-day-lord-of-the-rings-tour

I find it quite hard actually to describe just how much The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit means to me and my life. It’s much more than just movies or books to me. If I’m feeling down or just plainly having a bad day I can always lose myself within this magical world and forget all about my disability and troubles even if it’s just for a little while.

New Zealand is very far from Iceland and this will be a very expensive and difficult journey (flights, the tour and accommodations). I knew I could never afford this myself, being disabled and receiving disability pension which would never be enough to pay for this adventure. So I always thought that my dream would just stay a dream and I would never be able to see it coming true. That was until I stumbled on this site and saw all the amazing work gofundme and the people in this world were doing. Helping people in times of need and making distant dreams like mine, a reality. This filled me with great hope and here I am writing my campaign :)
For more information about Rúnar and his campaign, please visit his GoFundMe page at https://www.gofundme.com/2dj937ms. If you cannot donate, please share the link with your friends and networks and help spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment